Commercial Vehicle Insurance
Commercial vehicle insurance offers protection to any commercial vehicle from any loss/ damage incurred due to any unforeseen circumstances.
Commercial vehicles are an important mode of transportation and are heavy-duty vehicles, which are used on an everyday basis to carry out tasks. These vehicles usually include trucks, vans, trailers, buses, taxies, coaches, carriers, shovels, tractors, cranes, mobile rigs, bulldozer, etc. that are used to transport goods within the city/cities and from one state-to-another. They are also used for inter-city passenger tour and travel.
These heavy-duty commercial vehicles have an important contribution to bulk transportation for many businesses. However, such heavy-duty commercial vehicles are always prone to road accidents, unpredicted damages while driving and natural calamities.
Therefore, commercial vehicle insurance is important to covet these set of wheels against the odds.
Why is Commercial Vehicle Insurance Important?
Commercial vehicle insurance is beneficial for the smooth functioning of your running business against any adverse situations that may cause a huge financial drain. Almost, every type of vehicle that is used for commercial purpose such as passengers carrying vehicles, private/public travel trailers, taxies, tractors, cranes, mobile rigs, bulldozer, etc. gets covered under comprehensive commercial vehicle insurance.
Buying commercial vehicle insurance online is a quick, easy and hassle-free process. Therefore, before you zero down the policy, compare commercial vehicle insurance quotes and purchase a policy that fit your budget.
Remember, any mishap while riding a commercial vehicle without valid commercial vehicle insurance can lead to a huge monetary loss and put anyone in a difficult situation.
Key Features of Commercial Vehicle Insurance
Commercial vehicle insurance plan comes loaded with some salient features. The following are the salient features offered under commercial vehicle insurance:
- Comprehensive coverage is provided to both public and private carriers including special types of goods carrying vehicles.
- The commercial vehicle insurance plan provides cover for the liabilities in case of any injury or an accident.
- Do not worry about the unwanted expense as having a commercial vehicle insurance plan will provide monetary compensation.
- Remain stress-free from monetary setbacks incurred due to liabilities.
- Third-party person/vehicle/ property damage cover.
- A personal accident cover for the driver and the owner.
Types of Commercial Vehicle Insurance
Commercial vehicle insurance is generally of two types listed below:
Comprehensive Commercial Vehicle Insurance
Comprehensive insurance offers complete protection to your commercial vehicle under any adverse circumstances, which may lead to an unwanted expense. Secure your commercial vehicle from uncertainties such as damage, fire, theft, robbery, flood, earthquake and so on. Besides, comprehensive vehicle insurance policy provides cover to third-party property or person in case of loss/damage.
Third-party Liability Commercial Vehicle Insurance
Commercial vehicle insurance third-party liability offers protection to any third-party property, any third person or the vehicle, which may lead to the demise, bodily injury or any other damage. The safety of these types of commercial vehicles should be of utmost concern. Besides, the scope of coverage is more or less the same for both the insurance policies.
Commercial Vehicle Insurance: Inclusions
Commercial vehicle insurance policy compensates for personal, medical, and financial losses that are incurred due to damage resulting from theft, accidents, and natural disasters.
Most of the commercial vehicle insurance companies provide cashless compensation for getting your commercial vehicle repaired at their registered workshops.
There are a plethora of commercial insurance companies that provide customized commercial vehicle insurance plans to meet the different needs of their customers.
Here is a list of?the benefits that commercial vehicle insurance policy offers:
- Loss/ damage to the insured commercial vehicle resulting due to:
- Fire, self-ignition, explosion or lightning
- Riots and strike
- Theft, housebreaking, and burglary
- Malicious acts
- Flood, hurricane, tempest, storm, and typhoon
- Hailstorm, inundation cyclone, frost
- Landslide and rock slide
- Terrorist activity
- Accident (by external means)
- Personal Accident claims are also covered under this policy. It includes permanent total disability/ accidental death of the paid driver and the owner.
- Commercial vehicle third-party insurance provides cover in case of an accident involving your insured commercial vehicle and a third-party vehicle. It will cover the loss or damage caused to the third-party property, vehicle, bodily injuries and death.
- An option to boost the policy benefit by opting for various add-on covers, at an additional premium.
Commercial Vehicle Insurance: Add-on Covers
You can also enhance your scope of commercial vehicle insurance coverage by opting an add-on covers on the payment of an additional premium. While buying commercial vehicle insurance comparison the add-on covers will help you to make an informed decision.
The following are some add-on covers that you may consider while buying commercial vehicle insurance online:
- Accessory Cover: Cover for loss of accessories.
- Legal liability covers to the paid driver/conductor/non-fare paying passengers.
- Personal Accident cover: Personal accident benefit to the owner/driver and any other named person apart from an employee and vehicle cleaner/ conductor/ paid driver.
- Zero Depreciation Cover: To get the full value of the vehicle in case of loss or damage.
- Towing Cover: Road-side assistance in case of sudden break-down of the vehicle.
- Engine Protector: It covers the consequential damages to the vehicle engine.
Commercial Vehicle Insurance: Exclusions
The policy does not cover any claim arising out of the following situations:
- Wear and tear of the commercial vehicle.
- Consequential loss.
- A loss incurred during a civil war.
- Contractual liabilities are also not covered.
- The occurrence of an accident while driving with an invalid driving license or under the consumption of alcohol.
- Using a vehicle by accordance with 'limitations as to use' for instance, a private car is used as a taxi.
- War perils, nuclear perils.
- Electrical and Mechanical breakdown, breakage or failure.
- In case, the policy is not active at the time of accident or loss.
Best Commercial Vehicle Insurance Providers
Following is the list of General Insurance companies that offer Commercial Vehicle Insurance:
||Goods Carrying Vehicle Insurance
||Passenger Carrying Vehicle Insurance
|HDFC ERGO Commercial Vehicle Insurance
|Digit?Commercial Vehicle Insurance
|USGI Commercial?Vehicle Insurance
|Bajaj?Allianz Commercial Vehicle Insurance
|Royal Sundaram Commercial Vehicle Insurance
|Shriram General Commercial Vehicle Insurance
|Iffco Tokio Commercial Vehicle Insurance
|Tata AIG Commercial Vehicle Insurance
|New India Commercial Vehicle Insurance
|SBI General Commercial Vehicle Insurance
|Bharti AXA? Commercial Vehicle Insurance
Now, let us understand the different insurance plans available for every category of commercial vehicle.
Goods Carrying Vehicle Insurance
Goods carrying vehicle insurance covers the vehicles against loss or damages due to man-made and natural calamities such as theft, fire, explosion, flood, earthquake, landslide, accidental damages, personal accident and third-party liability. Goods carrying vehicles help in smooth growth of the nation’s economy by transferring the goods within the country and globally.
The goods carrying vehicle insurance can be bought for vehicles such as trucks, trailers, tractor-trailer, etc.
Salient Features of Goods Carrying Vehicle Insurance:
Listed below are some of the key features of goods carrying vehicle insurance:
- The policy offers both third-party liability and own-damage cover.
- Goods carrying vehicles such as trucks, trailers, Tractor-Trailer etc. can be insured under goods carrying vehicle insurance.
- Cashless claim facility to be availed across the country at registered garages
- The policy benefits can be enhanced further by opting for various add-on covers.
- The insured vehicle is covered for loss or damages sustained during an accident, third-party liability, damages due to man-made disasters such as theft, vandalism etc.
- It covers natural calamities causing a threat to the insured vehicles such as flood, storm, earthquake, landslide etc.
- No Claim Bonus to be earned for every claim-free year up to a defined percentage based on the policy terms.
Goods Carrying Vehicle Insurance: Inclusions
The list of inclusions for goods carrying vehicle insurance includes:
- Third-Party Liability Cover: The policy covers the insured vehicle for any liability arising out of accidental injury, bodily damage or death of a third party.
- Loss Due to Natural Disasters: Damage, loss, or due to natural calamities are covered.
- Man-made Calamities: Man-made disasters such as theft, vandalism etc. are covered, where the insured pays up to the full value in case the vehicle is untraceable, under ‘total loss’ category.
- Personal Accident Cover: Owner/driver is covered for personal accidental damages or loss up to a certain percentage of Sum Insured, including the treatment cost. On payment of an extra premium, even co-passengers can be covered.
Goods Carrying Vehicle Insurance: Exclusions
The list of exclusions for goods carrying vehicle insurance includes:
- Depreciation: Goods carrying vehicle insurance plan does not offer coverage against depreciation in the value of the vehicle over the period.
- Illegal Driving: If you do not have a valid and authorised driving license, your goods carrying vehicle insurance is of no use. If you drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs then you are not covered under goods carrying vehicle insurance policy.
- Mechanical and Electrical Breakdown: Any mechanical and electrical breakdowns are not covered by your goods carrying vehicle insurance policy.
Passenger Carrying Vehicle Insurance
Passenger carrying vehicle insurance provides coverage against accidental damages, fire and explosion, man-made calamities such as theft, natural calamities, personal accident, along with third-party liability cover. The passenger-carrying vehicles are intended for the carriage of passengers.
Passenger Carrying Vehicle Insurance Features
Below are the key features of passenger carrying vehicle insurance:
- This insurance can be bought for various passenger-carrying vehicles such as bus, taxi, passenger-carrying vans etc.
- The policy premium is decided based on the type of vehicle, cubic capacity, the zone of registration, Licensed Carrying Capacity of the vehicle, Gross Vehicle Weight etc.
- The policy covers the insured vehicle for the damages due to man-made and natural calamities.
- No Claim Bonus to be earned for every claim-free year.
- Some insurers offer discounts on premium deepening on the mode of buying.
Passenger Carrying Vehicle Insurance Inclusions
The inclusion list of passenger carrying vehicle insurance includes:
- Cover for Accidental Damages: The policy covers the vehicle in case of an accident leading to damages or injuries.
- Cover to Natural Calamities: Natural calamities may take a toll over the vehicle. Do not worry, it is covered as well.
- Fire & Explosion: Total or partial loss of the vehicle due to fire or explosion is covered.
- Personal Accident Cover: Cover to owner-driver and co-passengers (with an extra premium) are offered in case of an accident leading to injury, disability or death.
- Liability Insurance: In the case of third party liability any accidental injury, damage or death of a third party, damage to the third-party property where the insured vehicle is at fault, is covered.
Passenger Carrying Vehicle Insurance Exclusions
Passenger carrying vehicle insurance does not cover the following:
- Illegal Driving: In case you do not possess an authorized driving license, your passenger-carrying vehicle insurance cannot help you. If you drive your vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs are not covered under the plan.
- Mechanical and Electrical Breakdown: Any mechanical or electrical breakdown is not covered under your passenger-carrying vehicle insurance policy.
- Depreciation: Depreciation in the value of your vehicle over a period also remains uncovered.
Auto Rickshaw Insurance
Auto Rickshaw Insurance is a sub-category of Passenger Carrying Vehicle Insurance. The Motor Vehicle Act in India mandates buying liability only policy if auto-rickshaws are owned by an organization.
This will provide a cover for business if the rickshaw causes loss or damage to the third-party property, person, or vehicle.
Key Features of Auto Rickshaw Insurance
Following are the salient features of auto-rickshaw insurance policy:
- It protects your auto and the owner/driver from any losses arising out of natural calamities, terrorist activities, fires, accidents, malicious acts, and theft, amongst other unfortunate events.
- Auto rickshaw insurance also assures passengers/customers that you have a responsible business.
Auto Rickshaw Insurance: Inclusions
Auto rickshaw insurance covers the following:
- Cover for Accidental Damages: This policy covers the auto in the case of an accident that leads to damages or injuries.
- Cover Against Natural Disasters: Natural disasters may take a toll over your auto. There is nothing to worry about; an auto-rickshaw insurance policy offers cover against any Natural Disasters.
- Fire: Total or partial loss caused to the auto-rickshaw due to fire is also covered.
- Personal Accident Cover: Coverage to owner-driver and co-passengers is provided in case of an accident leading to death, disability, or injury.
- Third-Party Loss: Any losses or damages caused to a third-party or the passengers by your auto-rickshaw are also covered.
- Theft: This policy also covers your auto-rickshaw in case of any loss or damage caused due to theft.
- Towing Disabled Vehicles: Auto rickshaw insurance policy also offers coverage against any damage caused to your auto in the case where it is being towed.
Auto Rickshaw Insurance: Exclusions
The following are not covered under the Auto Rickshaw Insurance Policy:
- Drunk riding or driving without a License
- Own damages for third-party insured
- Consequential damages or losses
- Contributory negligence
e-Rickshaw along with e-carts are now registered and come under the Motor Vehicles Amendment Act 2015. The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDA) mandates third-party insurance for battery operated 3-wheeled vehicles.
The insurance norms and procedures of e-Rickshaw insurance are similar to an auto-rickshaw insurance policy. However, only third-party insurance is available for e-Rickshaws. The amount of premium is based on the seating capacity of the vehicle.
Commercial Vehicle Insurance Claim Process
Claiming commercial vehicle insurance can be an easy victory with the right approach. To get the claimed amount reimbursed without a hassle it is important that you immediately notify your commercial vehicle insurance provider about the loss or damage. In case, if you bought it through commercial vehicle insurance agent notify the agent.
You can register a claim by calling them on their toll-free helpline number or write to them on their customer helpline email id.
Nowadays, most of the commercial vehicle insurance providers offer claim forms online as well. It is important to cross-check commercial vehicle insurance details. While filing a claim, the following details are required from the insured’s end:
- Time and date of loss
- Policy number for reference
- The location where the incident took place
- A brief description of the incident
- Name & contact number of the person filing the claim
Documents Required to Claim Commercial Vehicle Insurance
To claim commercial passenger vehicle insurance or goods carrying vehicle insurance, you will need to furnish the following documents:
- Registration certificate of the vehicle
- Driving license ( original copy)
- Claim form duly signed and filled
- Copy of FIR
- Tax paid receipt
- Copy of Aadhar Card
- Fitness certificate
- Original insurance policy papers
- Load challan of your commercial vehicle
- Route permit
Is it Important to Renew Commercial Vehicle Insurance Policy?
Goods carrying vehicle insurance or passenger carrying vehicle insurance needs to be renewed on time to ensure the policy benefits continuously.
Commercial vehicle insurance renewal can be done online as well. You just need to visit the official website of the insurer and fulfill the renewal formalities online. Before, making the payment check commercial vehicle insurance details and accordingly pay the premium online and get the commercial vehicle insurance policy renewed instantly.
Factors To Be Considered While Buying/Renewing Commercial Vehicle Insurance
While renewing or buying a commercial vehicle insurance policy, you should focus on the following aspects:
- Coverage:?It is important to have adequate coverage when buying a commercial vehicle insurance policy. A comprehensive commercial vehicle insurance policy is recommended for those who wish to safeguard their business and want to enjoy and have peace of mind.
- Insured Declared Value:?One of the most important things that one needs to consider at the time of renewal/buying is choosing the correct IDV in your motor insurance policy, as, the compensation amount will be equal to the IDV in case of total damage or theft.
- Discount/NCB:?At the time of renewal, the policyholder should check with the insurer for any available discounts on the motor insurance premium.
- Add-on Benefits:?Select add-on covers to enhance the overall policy commercial vehicle insurance coverage.
- Cashless Network Garages:?Always ask the commercial vehicle insurance agent or provider about the list of network garages and find one within your vicinity. It will ensure convenient and timely repair of the vehicle.
- Deductibles:?Opt for deductibles only when it is possible to pay a portion of the claim from your pocket. Always check for the deductibles and clauses at the time of renewal. Opt-out for deductibles if it is not working well for you.
Note: While buying commercial vehicle insurance online, it is important to browse the web, compare commercial vehicle insurance quotes and avail the best deal.
Process to Renew a Commercial Vehicle Insurance Plan
A commercial vehicle insurance policy can be renewed online as well as offline. If you want to renew your policy offline, you can contact an agent of your insurance company or visit their nearest branch. In case you want to renew your commercial vehicle insurance plan online, you can follow the procedure mentioned below:
- Visit the official website of your insurance provider
- Go to the policy renewal option
- Enter the required details, such as the policy number
- Submit the details
- Pay the premium amount online
Commercial Vehicle Insurance Cost
Subject to deduction of depreciation, commercial vehicle insurance price or IDV is fixed at the commencement of the policy. The IDV is decided based on the manufacturer’s listed selling price and brand of the vehicle.
However, depreciation is a major factor that contributes a lot to commercial vehicle insurance. With age, the value of a vehicle depreciates and based on this rate, IDV is decided. Here is how:
|Within 6 months
|Between 6 months to 1 year
|Between 1 year to 2 years
|Between 2 years to 3 years
|Between 3 years to 4 years
|Between 4 years to 5 years
|Between 5 years to 10 years
|Exceeding 10 years
What are the Factors That Determine Commercial Vehicle Insurance Price?
The following parameters are considered while determining the price of commercial vehicle insurance e.g. goods carrying vehicle insurance or passenger carrying vehicle insurance:
- IDV of the vehicle
- Age of the vehicle
- Zone of Registration
- Type and model of the vehicle
- Fuel type of vehicle
How to Calculate Commercial Vehicle Insurance Premium?
You should not buy a policy out of compulsion or in rush. Before signing on the dotted line, you should compare commercial vehicle insurance online based on the offerings, premium rates, features and benefits and claim settlement ratio of the insurers.
You can approach an aggregator website such as Policybazaar.com, where you can compare different commercial vehicle insurance quotes. Moreover, by using a motor insurance calculator, you can get an idea about how much you are going to pay for a commercial vehicle insurance premium.
Written By: PolicyBazaar - Updated: 26 February 2020